Thursday, February 18, 2010

Brady and I Changed his First Flat Tire

I keep my cellphone on vibrate most of the time, so I didn't get Brady's text that he had a flat tire. Rob finally reached me a while later, and since he was out of town, I donned my "rescue persona" - a mix of "I'm coming to help you, honey!" and "Dangnabit, I'm not in the mood for this" - and headed out, after changing into clothes I didn't mind getting dirty. Brady's never changed a flat before, so I had visions of me doing most of it, teaching my boy how it's done, getting my hands dirty.

So this is where I think I'm still needed. "Here, let me show you how to do the jack."

"I know how to do the jack, Mom."

"Well, maybe I should make sure it doesn't slip."

"It won't slip, Mom."

"The last time I tried to change a tire, I couldn't get the lug nuts off so I had to get help. But for the record, I KNOW how to change a tire. Don't think I play 'helpless female' because I don't."
"Ok, Mom."
Brady's friend, Joe Convoulsion Bubenzer, smiles nervously.

"See? Those lug nuts are a b*tch to get off, aren't they? We might need help."
"I'll get it, Mom."

"I wonder if there's a service station nearby?"
"Mom, I'll GET it."


"Wow, you got it. How do you know how to change a tire anyway?"
"I watched Dad once."


"Need me to get anything for you?"
"Nope."


Ho hum... la dee dah.... *twiddles thumbs*...


"I'll put the flat in the trunk for you."
"Ok, Mom, you do that."

So I did.


"Why did I drive all the way up here?"
"Because I didn't have a jack."
So I WAS needed after all.
Nicely done, Brady, nicely done.









14 comments:

Unschoolers Rock the Campground said...

You are a goober nut. Thank you for my morning smile :)

Anonymous said...

CONGRADULATIONS! Brady

Jen said...

WAY TO GO BRADY, A JOB WELL DONE! Don't worry Laura, you are ALWAYS needed!

bedroom furniture said...

you always end up getting a flat tire or a broken windshield in the cold. i think it's the pot holes and the gravel that spills out. it's a pain to fix the tire but everyone should know how to do it.

Jen said...

WAY TO GO BRADY!

Jen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Ooooh! I am so eager for my boys to be strong enough to do that for me!

Shawna Coronado said...

To funny, Now you know what to get him for Christmas.

Mike said...

Pisces Grrl,

Your blog has been recommended to us as a interviewee's favorite blog!

We would like to do an interview with you about your blog for
Blog Interviewer. We'd
like to give you the opportunity to
give us some insight on the "person behind the blog."

It would just take a few minutes of your time. The interview form can
be submitted online here Submit your
interview
.

Best regards,

Mike Thomas

Anonymous said...

CONGRADULATIONS! too...Brady

Joseph said...

So i dont have a name now? I'm just bradys friend

piscesgrrl said...

What are you talking about? Your name is right there! Look again.

L. J. Lowe said...

you could spring for a car wash ;)

Midlife Roadtripper said...

Reminds me that my jack broke last time I changed a tire. Need to put that on my list of things to replace. (Or renew my AAA membership.)

Congrats to your boy. All should know how to do such things.